Our Logo Development Process
Our logo development process is designed to give you a branding system that helps support the growth and next steps of your business. We focus on functional execution that gives you an identity that is clear and purposeful and use a process that involves you throughout.
We're focused on giving you the right branding that can help you reach your goals, and being aware of the stage you are at now as a business. A logo is your badge for any activity that you undertake so we make sure it's one you can identify with. Our process also takes into consideration the scale of your needs, as for some early stage startups a wordmark is the most efficient first step as the brand or product is evolving. For more established brands it might be the need to create more system and structure in the branding to support a hierarchy of products or services. Ultimately our process will match the purpose of your logo needs and we will leave you with the tools to execute with it consistently.
Whether you are an established brand looking for a refresh or a new startup just setting out, the Discovery step is a way for us to dig into the challenge together to ensure that the brief is clear for our team. It's a way to finalise all of the specific project deliverables (usually discussed in the offer phase) to ensure that nothing has been missed and that we have the tools that we need to proceed. For new brands the role this step can be to properly define your positioning from scratch together, and provide you with a document that forms the basis of your brand guide internally. For more established brands it's a great step to refine, challenge or simply share your positioning with us.
Mostly commonly our Logo development process process happens across 5 stages, however we can scale and adjust this according to the end requirements, budget and timings. For example if the logo is to play a part of a larger, sub-brand system then we would introduce additional stages.
- 3 x Logos development - based on an internal briefing that comes from our Discovery process, and additionally from the Stylescape process if this has been undertaken, our team of designers develop 3 ogo routes for your brand. We primarily focus on the core form of the logo, the logo type and the system of adaptation from small space, vertical and horizontal. At this stage we introduce a core colour that will likely be refined later. As part of the presentation we include mock-ups to bring to life how the logo appears across materials of different sizes and locations. Whilst we discuss initial impressions in the meeting, we ask you to review the logos over a few days to align and refine your feedback to us. The ideal objective is to align on one logo to refine.
- Logo refinement - we take your feedback and our notes from the discussion to refine the Logo of choice. This includes colour variations or refinement and focuses on the more detailed consideration of how the logo will be executed, including customisation of typography. We present this to you for final feedback.
- Logo finalisation - We undertake a final refinement step to address any comments or feedback from step 2 and also to make very technical refinements such as kerning and spacing, that most people would not notice but is the final step of detail that makes the logo your own.
- Logo exports - We export the different logo formats/deliverables and share these with you.
- Logo guidelines - We prepare a functional logo guidelines that covers the correct usage of the logo files, colour codes and typography. We also include some reference mockups as inspiration. We allow for a feedback round in case you have specific comments or questions. This is everything you need to brand your materials and can share these guidelines both internally and externally for correct and consistent logo usage. This section can also form a chapter as part of a wider brand identity guidelines that would include items such as imagery, iconography and a broader colour palette.
We adapt the deliverables according to the project requirements and your request. Files will include:
- Wordmark (Positive, Negative, Colour)
- Logomark (Positive, Negative, Colour)
- Logo lockup horizontal (Positive, Negative, Colour)
- Logo lockup vertical (Positive, Negative, Colour)
- For Web - RGB - PNG, SVG, PDF
- For Print - CMYK - AI, PDF
- For Production - Pantone - AI, PDF
- Logo guidelines PDF
The required time to complete the process can vary from 3 to 6 weeks in total. This includes time for your internal input, collection of information and feedback. As a guide we usually require 5 days to address feedback or add our input after a meeting.
What comes next?
Depending on the project requirements, we might focus on Brand materials or Website design.
Would you like to know more?
We'd be more than happy to discuss your project needs and discuss the benefits of the Discovery process to help us achieve your goals together. Contact us via the form or set up an introduction call here >.
&Berlin is a full service creative agency that helps brands of all sizes achieve their goals. We guide you through a complete process and collaborate with you as partners.